Saturday, May 2, 2015

5/2
About 15 miles
We finished hiking the alternate route into idyllwild today. Instead of ridge top trail we walked county highways, through neighborhoods, and on dirt forest service roads. We didn't exactly enjoy it but we feel good about doing it. Type 3 fun I think.

We arrived into town early afternoon. It's much cuter than I expected. A quaint town nestled under pine trees and butted up against grand peaks, it looks like it should be the sierras. The town is full of hikers, people I haven't seen in a week and people I've never met at all. The locals are amazingly friendly and welcoming. We were walking down the street and a lady ran out of a restaurant to give us bags of homemade cookies. She saw us walking, and gave us cookies! I couldn't believe it. We also met the mayor a young, beautiful, and well groomed golden retriever.
We did the necessary stops: post office for resupply box, library for the water report, lunch with date shakes, and showers and the nearby statepark.
We are camped in a manzanita maze behind a bakery that welcomes hikers. I'm tired and looking forward to waking up to good coffee and fresh pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment