Sunday, July 12, 2015

July 7

7/7
23 miles (1007 to 1030)
We gained an exposed and beautiful ridge this morning straight of out camp. It was a long but gradual climb, clay and I felt good, but hungry. The skies got darker and darker as we climbed, about 20 steps after we left the top, we saw lightening. It was only 11:30. I kicked into a speed reserved specifically for thunderstorms and got myself down below tree line. I am irrationally afraid of thunderstorms. I remember as a kid I went through a period where I'd ask my parents every night before bed if it was going to thunderstorm. Then id try to bribe my little brother to share his room with me so I didn't have to face them alone. The last place I want to be during a thunderstorm is on top of a high rocky ridge. So when It happened again this afternoon I wasn't pleased. I was less pleased when my fast thunderstorm gear caused me to trip and scrape my knee on some rocks. Clay asked if I was ok, I said yes, and he replied, but your head is in the dirt. I was fine, and we managed to have a pretty big day today. 
We stopped mid way through the day at sonora pass where man sells hiker food out of a truck, we were so excited and ate a huge lunch which powered is through the rest of the day. 












1 comment:

  1. Incredible photos that day! You've been working hard, way to make a push!

    ReplyDelete