Friday, October 23, 2015

Where the forest meets the sea

October 22
52 miles. Crescent city to Patricks point state park

I can breathe out of my nose again! So glad to be feeling better. Yesterday I still felt pretty rough but today I'm definitely in the path to recovery. 

Instead of ocean front riding most of the day was spent winding through redwood forests. I felt ages from the coast under the dense dark damp canopy of giants. We climbed up out of crescent city, passed the trees of mystery (you might recall an episode of This American Life from within Paul Bunyan), and rode through redwood national park. 
After passing an elk herd and town of orick, we popped back out into the sunshine on the seaside again.

In Northern California the main road, the 101, is less like a windy coastal road and more like an inland freeway. The traffic is faster and the views less scenic. I am looking forward to the beginning of hwy 1, which in a couple hundred miles splits off the 101 and goes west to run along the ocean. 




Biking through the redwoods 


Studying the maps

Camping at Patricks point




No comments:

Post a Comment